Town of Amriswil
The municipality of Amriswil has officially called itself the town of Amriswil since 2005. The municipal area includes Amriswil, Biessenhofen, Hagenwil, Oberaach, Räuchlisberg und Schocherswil. Amriswil covers an area of 19.1 square kilometres and has around 13,500 inhabitants. Foreigners account for 30 per cent. Amriswil was first mentioned in documents in 799 under the name Amalgeriswilare. Politically, the town is part of the Arbon district and is the fourth largest in the canton of Thurgau.
The toy library at Bahnhofstrasse 22 in Amriswil lends around 2,560 games and toys to young and old. There is a games evening for adults on the first Wednesday evening of the month. Library
Twin town Radolfzell
The town of Radolfzell on the German side of Lake Constance has been a twin town of Amriswil since 1999. During the 1200-year celebrations in Amriswil, Lord Mayor Günther Neurohr and Councillor Peter Kummer (Honorary citizens) sealed the long-standing friendly ties officially. Numerous Radolfzell children visited families in Amriswil in the post-war years under a sponsorship scheme. The people of Amriswil also regularly sent food packages, medical supplies or medication to the other side of the lake. The two authorities continue to regularly exchange ideas and information today and visit one another every year.
After the termination of an employment contract or in the event of bankruptcy, the Labour Office is the first point of call for those affected.
Upper Thurgau Regional Planning Group
The association of 13 municipalities promotes regional identity and self-confidence,. The focus is on measures to aid regional development and the regional marketing. The regional planning group includes the municipalities of Amriswil, Arbon, Dozwil, Egnach, Hefenhofen, Horn, Kesswil, Roggwil, Romanshorn, Salmsach, Sommeri, Steinach SG and Uttwil.